West Coast Classics are proud to present an absolutely exceptional example of this body off restored 1940 Ford 2 Door DeLuxe Sedan, the legendary Eugene Gregorie designed top-of-the-line models with a handsome facelift for 1940 which marked the Deluxe models. Styling highlights for the DeLuxe models included chrome trimmed sealed beam headlamps, a steering column mounted shift lever, the Deluxe three part horizontal bar grille, 'Ford DeLuxe' hubcaps and unique 'Chevron' taillights. A decidedly modern new dash for the 1940 DeLuxe model, a rectangular instrument panel and an ashtray both sides! The Deluxe models were the top-of-the-line for this year and have always been recognized and appreciated amongst Ford enthusiasts their unique handsome styling and are now getting very rare and hard to find anywhere in this kind of condition. This vehicle was acquired from the renown John Woodhead collection and has been restored to original and is in pristine condition. No detail spared, even has the original tool kit in it's pouch. This car is one of a kind and would be a pride of ownership addition to any car collection.
Ford Motor Company introduced its DeLuxe Ford line in 1938 as an upscale alternative to bridge the gap between its base Standard model and luxury Lincoln offerings. The 'Deluxe' name was used intermittently before and after this to specify an upscale trim, but the 'DeLuxe Ford' line was differentiated as a separate 'marque within a marque' with separate styling and pricing through 1940. During 1939, Ford had five lines of cars: Ford, De Luxe Ford, Mercury, Lincoln-Zephyr, and Lincoln. After the war, this was simplified to Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln. As Mercury sales progressed, the DeLuxe approach was cancelled.
This was one of the sweetest rides you could by in 1940. Imagine the looks back in the day, to drive a sporty luxury coupe and these prestigious Ford Coupe Deluxe models were all of that and more. In 1940, Ford released a new line which replaced the 1939 model. The fastback 2 door sedan models were reminiscent of the aerodynamic coupes of the 1930's and came in either standard or deluxe trim versions.
You will be hard pressed to find anyone to dispute that the 1940 Ford is one of the most elegant automobiles ever to roll off of either Henry Ford's, or for that matter any other, US assembly line. More than 80 years later they are one of the few such models still as attractive today as they were to buyers when new. Of all the elegant models produced, this particular 1940 Deluxe 2 Door Sedan was built with a central X crossmember with inside bench seats dressed in tan color wool broadcloth and which could seat four/five comfortably. The car boasts a body colored 'Tuscan Tan' painted two-tone instrument panel that houses the standard array of gauges in a beautiful period Art Deco theme with its original 'Motorola' AM radio positioned in the center of the panel and a clock matching the speedometer dresses up the passenger side. This car has it's original factory added options of both the AM Radio and 'Hot Wave Twin Flow' Heater.
Moving this handsome car is an original 239 cu in Flathead V8 which is mated to its original standard column shift 3 speed manual transmission which featured synchronized second and third gears. This rare Ford will still run down the road at freeway speeds with no hesitation, she has no wobbles or creaks.
This particular example was acquired from the renown John Woodhead Ford collection and had been restored in its period correct 'Black' color which is very striking along with its matching wheels with Deluxe hubcaps. The wool broadcloth tan interior is also in absolutely exceptional condition throughout.
Woodhead Ford of Minnesota was the creation of over three generations of the Woodhead family. John Woodhead I, also know as Jack, was working with the Ford Branch Sales office in Minneapolis in 1912. He moved to Brainerd in 1916 where he was to form the 'Woodhead Motor Company', a Ford dealership. At that time the Ford franchise agreements allowed for the sale of other car brands, a practice that would soon be changed by the company. By 1925 the Woodhead Motor Company built a new handsome structure to sell Fordson Tractors and farm implements. The following year the Woodhead Company was formed to acquire the Lake Street Motor Sales Company, a Ford dealership at 417 Lake Street, Minneapolis, which has been open since 1921. In 1950 Jack Woodheads sons John Jr and William (Bill) purchased the business from their father and with the post war demand for new cars they flourished. John Woodhead III was born in 1939 and by age 9 or 10 was working in the family dealership sweeping floors and delivering parts, washing both the new and used cars. The Woodhead family dealership was eventually sold in 1967 and became known as 'Bill Boyer Ford'. John Woodhead III went on to enjoy a very successful career outside of the automotive industry but he nevertheless continued his interest and passion for Ford cars and trucks. Starting around 1970 John III began acquiring and restoring some of his favorite models and by 1986 had built a private museum in Delano, Minnesota to house and show his renown collection. He regularly opened his collection to collectors and enthusiasts before selling his entire collection in 2004. In the sales catalog internationally known auctioneer Dean Kruse wrote "I can say after viewing the Woodhead Collection, there is no collection anywhere which has more perfectly preserved cars; John's cars would fit in the best collections in the world".
This car had been reportedly purchased from the Woodhead collection in 2004 from where it has been in other private collections since. From the condition of this car it would seem obvious that the cars body was taken off the frame, the original Ford 95HP V8 engine rebuilt and the car subjected to a comprehensive repaint with primer, 3 coats of 'Black' and 3 coats of Clearcoat, with the interior faithfully restored as required.
The floor boards, trunk and all the typical rust-prone areas are completely solid and rust-free and the car has no signs of any accidents. All the chromework was also restored and the original tire with it's jack is in the trunk along with an original tool kit & its pouch. The Flathead 239 c.i 95HP V8 engine is extremely strong and this particular car drives magnificently - must be driven to be fully appreciated - drives straight as an arrow with no strange road wobbles, shakes or rattles - a truly remarkable daily driver that will give any modern day car a run for it's money!
This is a rare opportunity to own a great daily driving and body off and mechanically restored example of a very striking 1940 Ford DeLuxe 2 Door Sedan; this is definitely a car you can show and be proud of, an undisputedly very rare, highly desirable, collectible and unabused example of one of the outstanding designs of the early forties pre-war art deco period automobiles. These high quality luxury cars were built to be able to complete long distances both quickly, powered by Ford's larger version of it's faithful flathead V8, and in the utmost of luxury!
This is one very desirable pre-war classic car for any classic American car enthusiast or Ford collector to add to his collection, a very honest and unabused example of a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe and a sure-fire investment that's sure to appreciate over the years for any classic American car collector or Ford enthusiast!