ORIGINAL SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CAR WITH ONLY TWO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA OWNERS SINCE NEW.
RECENTLY ACQUIRED FROM SECOND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA OWNER WHO PURCHASED THE CAR FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER IN 1971 WITH ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA TITLE (RARE PINK SLIP) FROM 1971!
ORIGINAL MATCHING #'S 616/1/ T6 100 ENGINE CAR. ORIGINAL REUTTER CHASSIS BUILT IN 1961. 'PORSCHE CLASSIC TECHNICAL CERTIFICATE' FROM 'PORSCHE SOUTH BAY' OF HAWTHORNE, CA.
West Coast Classics are proud to present an exceptional original southern California survivor example of this 1962 Porsche 356B 'Twin Grille' 1600 T6 2 Door Coupe by Reutter (built in 1961) born with 'Ivory' color (code 6204) paint & top & still boasting its original factory 'Red' leatherette interior and original matching #'s Type 616/1 T6 1600 engine #P607339 matched to a date correct but not factory original 741A 4 speed manual transmission!
The car will be sold with its 'Porsche Classic Technical Certificate' showing an original build date of November 1961. The car was to be restored by its second owner with its original parts but this was never to be. It boasts its original steering wheel, original clock and its factory optional Ventilated Chrome Wheels. A visual inspection indicates the engine to be original and matching #'s but the transmission serial number is a mismatch to the original serial number record.
Overall the car is an original southern California example with no rust but needing restoration. The paintwork is poor and in need of refinishing. The body has some minor dents or dings and the interior needs refinishing but the car has no signs of any accidents or rust and has virtually perfect fits and gaps. The front brake shoes show average wear prior to being parked as do the front drums and the rear shoes are showing average wear as as the rear drums and there is no brake power currently. The car has not been running for several years but the engine does turn. There are noticeable oil leaks and the suspension bushings are cracked and torn.
In September of 1959 Porsche revealed their fully updated 356 known as the 356B. This had a completely revised body that was more suitable for the American market. The 356B used the new T5 bodystyle which raised the front and rear bumpers nearly four inches. Furthermore the headlights were also repositioned higher to meet American regulations. Inside Porsche fitted a new deep dish steering wheel and deeper front seats. The Porsche 356 was the car which put the marque on the map and is most certainly the companies most iconic. Between 1948 and 1965, more than 76,000 were built, as coupes, open roadster speedsters and cabriolets. While the basic design and shape of the 356 changed very little over its lifetime, there were several generations of cars. The first, characterized by split (or bent) windshields, were built through 1954. From 1955 to 1959, a revised model designated the 356A was built with a curved windshield and modified suspension. It was succeeded during 1959 by the 356B or T5 model, which although to the casual observer appeared to change very little from its predecessor, had in fact received minor alterations to almost every aspect of the model, including most obviously a new nose contour that raised the headlights upwards and vertically with new front wings to accommodate and new bigger and stronger bumpers. In August of 1961 Porsche revealed the updated T6 body with larger windows for the Coupe and twin engine grills on the rear deck. These had a much revised front trunk with a different gas tank that was accessed under a filler lid on the fender instead of the middle of the trunk. In 1963, the 356C marked the third and final update to the 356 saga.
There were three 1,600 cc engines, designated 1600, 1600 Super and the Super 90 and the legendary four-cam 2-liter 115 HP Carrera 2. The 1600's ranged from 60 to 90 BHP with the Super 90, the most potent of the pushrod engines, having a counterweighted crankshaft, sodium-filled valves and Solex P40-II carburetors. Today this engine is particularly sought after by enthusiasts.
Although Porsche sourced bodies from a number of suppliers, by far the most came from Reutter. 'Karosseriefabrik Reutter & Co.' of Stuttgart, Germany had a long association with Porsche. Founded as a coach-building firm in 1906, Reutter pioneered lightweight construction, using Weymann fabric patents and early use of aluminum. Reutter furnished prototypes to Ferdinand Porsche in 1932, during the early days of the Volkswagen project, then bodied Mercedes and BMW cars during the 1930s. The association with Porsche was rekindled in 1950, when the nascent Porsche company returned from Austria to Stuttgart. Porsche's old facilities were occupied by the US Army, so Reutter leased some plants to Porsche for car production and started producing bodies for a number of 356 models. These included coupes, cabriolets and speedsters. While Karmann also built coupes in the 1960s, most of the open cars were by Reutter.
This Reutter-bodied 356B Twin Grille Coupe is a very fine candidate for a full restoration of this desirable late model T6 B Body Coupe. The car has been owned since the early 1970's by the same southern California owner who purchased the car from its original southern California owner and who has always garaged the car and who had intended to fully restore the car some day. Obviously unfortunately that day did not come but the car should prove a very worthy candidate for a full restoration by its next Porsche owning enthusiast. Please note that the car also has its original spare wheel.